We are a member of the Placeshapers group, an alliance of more than 100 housing associations who have signed up to common values.
Together we own and manage 850,000 homes, are building 36,000 homes and provide services to more than two million people. We re-invest 100% of our profits into our homes and communities and have helped more than 60,000 people into work since 2010.
We have signed up to the following pledges:
1 - We put our residents and customers at the centre of what we do and ensure they have real influence on our organisations.
- Recognise the crucial role that residents and service users have in shaping services and business development. We support genuine engagement at all levels of our organisations and empower our residents to achieve the influence they rightly expect.
- Have in place effective and appropriate mechanisms to understand and respond to our diverse customer profile. We will use this profile to develop appropriate services and to support resident involvement structures that reflect local and personal needs.
2 - We provide more than just landlord services because we care about the people and places where we work.
- Use our capacity to drive a legacy of long-term investment in our communities.
- Invest our resources locally, will employ locally where possible and will be recognised for our contribution to creating opportunities, neighbourhood pride and social mobility.
- Be transparent about how we are using our resources
- Reflect local needs through a balance of regeneration and development thus addressing the needs of current and future families.
- Be integrated effectively in the local voluntary sector, working jointly with partners (and leading where appropriate) to nurture stronger economically and socially active communities.
- Employ high standards in our neighbourhoods, nurturing personal responsibility and being tough on anti-social behaviour.
- Use our resources to help our customers fulfil their potential, thus increasing economic activity and reducing their dependency on the welfare state and local authority support.
3 - We recognise the importance of a local focus and work actively with our local authorities and other local partners to improve and shape places at both a strategic and operational level.
- Expect senior managers of PlaceShapers housing associations to contribute to and challenge local partnerships to jointly drive local improvement in neighbourhoods and services.
- Commit to determining our agreed role in any given local authority area whether this be to lead, to influence, to follow or, if appropriate, to exit.
- Use our assets flexibly to increase housing supply, to drive up housing standards and for wider investment in our communities.
4 - We believe there is strength and benefit to residents and stakeholders in maintaining a strong, independent, diverse, values-driven housing association sector.
- Offer strong local accountability and dynamic participation in our key areas to ensure that the value of an independent, diverse and innovative housing association sector is recognised.
- Influence government and policy makers to ensure that national and local policies are developed in a way that promote a local focus and help to improve the quality of life for our communities.
For more information on Placeshapers visit their website at www.placeshapers.org